Sunday, February 21, 2010

...and justice for all

It's been a while since i've had the chance to blog (for either blog). Our house has been struck by a case of the sickies and it's jumped from one to the next instead of getting us all out of the way at once.

I just have a little rant to get off my chest. I'm really tired of one set of rules applying to one group of people and a different set applying to others. We claim to live in a time that is "progressive" and not racist but anyone with open eyes can tell you differently.  I've done my best to eliminate prejudice from my life, but I know I treat people differently based on life experiences.  Unfortunatly I'm face with mostly negative experiences due to my career and training, so I do approach black people wearing mostly one colored clothing that is loose as a gang memeber and not someone who is color co-ordinated.  I won't outwardly act on this profiling until their words or actions dictate that i should but i am more aware of them because of what my life has taught me.  The kind of inequality I'm tired of is the kind I imagine you have encountered everyday at work.  The kind that rears it's head when you see the company brown-noser getting extra time for lunch or extra days off or perhaps only a mild chastising where you would be more stricly disciplined.  This kind of inequality is rooted in power and ego which seems everyone wants and loves to be fed.  I made a promise to myself long ago that I can achieve what I want to achieve without having to crawl on my belly and suck up to get it, I will get there based on my merits and skills.  It just really crushes my moral to see that others get easily what I have to work extremely hard for just by brown nosing and stroking the ego of the next man higher on the totem pole.

Perhaps I dream of a Utopia that doesn't exist but if I can live and lead by example then perhaps the next generation will be a little closer to the ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...