Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rollercoasters

So I've never been much of a fan of rollercoasters.  Seems a shame living as close as I do to Cedar Point (from what I understand is a pretty good coaster park) but they've never had much of an appeal to me.  I don't think it's that I'm afraid of heights, I enjoy rock climbing and I clean out my gutters and trim trees without even a second thought.  I guess it's the complete lack of control and the extremes that they go to that don't appeal to me (and the 3 hour wait in line).  But sometimes it feels like I live my own rollercoaster.  My emotions and moods go from one extreme to another it feels like.  Not quite to the point of a manic depressive, but enough that I got screened for it a few years ago.  I have been enjoying a rather extended period of happyness and hoped that a few lifestyle changes had gotten me out of the cycle, but the other night before I came into work I felt the familiar funk starting to creep back in (I don't know many who enjoys going to work, but this is more than that).  I try to temper my emotions and moods, but what made me really take a strong look at how I present myself is when my daughter asked me "what's wrong daddy?" and I just replied that daddy is sad and when she asked why I couldn't really come up with a good reason.  I've never been much of an over the top kind of guy, more of a candle than a sparkler, but I don't want my kids to remember me as a sour guy but as a calm and loving individual. 

 

No one at work seems to understand the difference between calm serenity and tired foul mood.  I am usually in a decent mood and could be fullly awake but most people I come in contact with comment on how I always look tired or angry.  All that does it tend aggrivate me.  It's like walking up to someone and telling them they look like crap today. 

 

I wonder how much of all this can be attributed to me working night shift or if it's just my personality.  It is times like these that I do miss my best counselor I've ever had though, my grandmother.  For now though, writing down my thoughts, both good and bad, on this blog seems to help balance me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...